Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Un-Break My Heart


     So... I've slowly been eliminating the chemicals in my life. I've parted way with packaged foods and store-bought household cleansers. The trouble with progress, I'm discovering, is that there is always more progress to be made. During a recent convo (that's "conversation" for those in question) with one of the docs, my recent changes were lauded but she then suggested some other places where chemicals might be eliminated. I almost cried. Almost. I definitely cried on the inside. What did she mention..? Make-up!!
      Now, admittedly, I'm not a big user of make-up products... as most of you can probably discern from my occasional blotchiness and all-around pallor. But, ever since my very first tube of cherry red lipstick that I bought at a mall during Academic Decathalon (really), I've kept a favorite lipstick on hand at all times. It was a major turning point in my youth. I went from total tomboy in a flannel, band shirt, and baggy jeans (the 90s)  to dresses and nail polish in the amount of time it takes someone to say, "I want that one." My jeans to dresses ratio has done a complete 180 since I was 16. And, I maybe have two band shirts these days. For shame, I know, but I guarantee my teenage self would have total respect for my record collection and maintained aversion to children. That's enough for me.
     Back to topic... I do wear mascara and eye liner almost every day. Well, almost every time I leave the house. Thank you, Liz Taylor. On the occasion, I'll opt in for lipstick. On the rarer occasion, I'll go full force for an event and use primer and powder and eye shadow. Bam. The saddest part? I just found the exact shade of lipstick I've been searching out for years. Years!! Oh so long ago, my fav color - Tourmaline, which was sorta hot pink - was discontinued and I had to begin my search all over again. Alas, it was not to be. I will be relinquishing my make-up. I will miss the ritual of it all. The girly-ness. I'll miss picking out new colors with my mother. The doc suggested I look into homemade options (to continue my trend). She mentioned something about beets and coconut oil... I'll get back to you on this. In the meantime, I'm listening to bad break-up music as I prepared to let go of my fabulous, oh-so-carefully collected beauty products.
     To help get ready, I'm going to rock some of the worst break-up songs I can possibly think of. Please take a moment to appreciate that one make-up item you love in your heart of hearts and enjoy one of the throwback tracks below.








No comments:

Post a Comment