Saturday, April 27, 2013

Re-Thinking Blogging

     A friend of mine on Facebook recently put up a link to an article about image use in public, online forums (like Facebook). The article by Alex Wild was from Scientific American titled "Facebook's "I F*cking Love Science" Does not F*cking Love Artists". In the article, Wild discusses the rapidly accumulated popularity of the pro-science page created by Elise Andrew. I love "I F*cking Love Science" but this article brought some really compelling points to light about image use in the overly-electronic age. It's something I've often thought about as a blogger. On my "professional" blog - YabYum Music & Arts - I adhere to very strict image use guidelines that I myself put into place. Here, however, and on my other personal blogs, I'm not as strident. I always try to include source information for the images I post but oftentimes these are just links to the website where I found the image and not necessarily the original source. And, since I'm being totally honest here, I rarely have asked permission before reposting images I find. Well, that shit stops today.
      In truth, I did not see re-posting as an issue. Perhaps a bit lazy, but not wrong. I consider this blog personal space. Frabjous Fox is not intended as a money-making venture but rather as place to organize my householder tasks and share my projects with friends. Nevertheless, it is operated in a public space. Prior to blogging/Pinterest, I kept journals full of images and articles. Those clippings were mine alone. As my readership continues to gain numbers, I must recognize that this is not simply personal space free to fill with whatever I want all willynilly as I've been doing. The article by Alex Wild has served as a wake-up call.
    So, that being said, I'm announcing a site redesign project. I will no longer be posting images without proper attribution. Bleh. That might require a bit of refocusing. Stick with me on this! It's all for a better blog tomorrow! Today, I have the task of deleting all my unpublished posts that don't adhere to my new standards. Sad. I might focus more on my own cooking endeavors as I move toward a clean-eating, always homemade approach to life. Or, maybe, I'll just post a new picture of Eleanor everyday to accompany whatever musing might be occupying my brain space.

Oh, and thank you, Brent Miles, for ruining my life with your Facebook posts... if you didn't have such wonderful musical taste I might maintain some real hostility over this.


Let the Eleanor Pictures Begin


No comments:

Post a Comment