Thursday, May 9, 2013

Coal to Diamonds:: Beth Ditto

In an effort to consolidate my blogging practices in order to free up more fiction-writing time, I have decided to do away with Book.Read.Good. and simply include book write-ups here on my personal mainstay. I found blogging just about books a little frustration mainly because it impeded my reading and writing time. I realized the ridiculous confliction in play and did away with it. Anyhoo, here we go... 




I'm a fan of the band Gossip. I'm a big music fan in general. What I'm not a fan of, however, is biographies so why I decided to pick up Coal to Diamonds still remains a bit of a mystery to me. Of course, I picked it up this morning and I've already knocked it out by the time I sat down to work on posts in the evening so it wasn't a terribly involved undertaking. I think Beth Ditto is an interesting persona - the femme punkrocker and Riot Grrrl in the post-Grrrl era. From her Arkansas upbringing to her emergence on the not-quite-underground scene, Ditto relates (with the help of writer Michelle Tea) her short life (she's only 32) with concision. Touching upon fat-positive body image and LBGTQ identity, the book was worth reading. My favorite quotes from the book are as follows:


"Punk to me has always been a moral philosophy, more than a style of music or a fashion you wear. The underpinnings of all the songs and clothes was, for me, a core rejection of the way the world operates, the mainstream world. It was a critique of capitalism, which makes some people rich on the backs of so many powerless workers. It was about smashing beauty standards that taught fat girls and boys and anyone not adhering to inhuman expectations to hate themselves."

"It's like I've won some crazy fucking lottery, and the prize has been my life."


No comments:

Post a Comment