Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday Randomness:: Logical Fallacies


Learn to live with a condition like CPH has meant, for me, learning to let go of anger and worry. The latter, I am learning, is much more difficult. It's not that I don't get angry. It's that I can't get angry without serious consequences so I have to try and stay as calm as I can no matter the situation. It's been a long road but six years of living with CPH in the extreme has lead me to seek some zen form of self. Still seeking, but hopefully on the path.

I sometimes find myself wishing some sort of philosophical discourse class was required of students. I had this idea when I was with my brother in New York a few weeks ago. He's big on the logical fallacy of black-and-white and has a more anecdotal approach to his theories on criminal justice. Horrifying, I know, but the kid is really quite charming most of the time.  I, for one, am often a perpetrator of Texas sharp shooting. Something I now try to remain aware of. I particularly abhor strawman attacks and ad hominem attacks. I try to not even engage back in these situations. It is difficult not to call out logical fallacies when they occur in arguments but it's best to avoid doing so because it just elevates the anger level of all involved.

Learn what fallacies you are victim to or perpetrators of here... argue responsibly. Others logical fallacies exist, of course, but this is a pretty fun list.


No comments:

Post a Comment